Oct 1, 2007

killin' bitches, sittin on death row ...

the current state of commercial hip-hop ? nope ! we're talkin about the great american song tradition of murder ballads! ... well, the roots are european, but leave it to good ol' appalachian folk to carry it out well ... again, i got turned on to this from the lomax recordings i recently acquired ... there are songs retelling classic outlaws such as jesse and frank james, but it's the ones that are simply sung about premeditated murder that just fascinate me ... like "Pretty Polly" ... the lyrics there differ from the recording i have, and are actually a little less heavy ... in the recording on the lomax tapes, the end lyrics go ...
He stabbed her in the heart and her heart’s blood did flow.
He stabbed her in the heart and her heart’s blood did flow.
And into the grave Pretty Polly did go.
...
Oh gentlemen and ladies, I bid you farewell.
Oh gentlemen and ladies, I bid you farewell.
For killing Pretty Polly my soul will go to hell
i like in that version that at the end the singer is revealed to be the murderer ... anyway ...

3 comments:

actor said...

i had me a wife and i had me some daughters...

violent femmes do it too! yay!

Bogardus said...

I dreamed about killing you again last night and it felt alright to me...

Wilco - Via Chicago

driznastic said...

i wasn't insinuating that the idea of killing people is bereft in modern rock/folk music ... dylan did it, nirvana has a tune based on it, as actor pointed out, the violent femmes do a version ... so ... yeah! whatever.