Dec 19, 2008

Buddy Charles

He died today. He was all sorts of awesome.

The first time I saw him was with my friend Lisa, who used to go with her dad to watch him in the early 80's at some hip jazz spot I can't remember the name of. She introduced herself in between sets and asked about a song he used to play that was her favorite. He laughed and said "I haven't thought about that song in 25 years". He started playing and after 10 seconds or so he stopped and said he couldn't remember the words. "Oh it's not a big deal, but thank you" she said and he quickly replied "No no, will you come back next week?"

We did and when we walked in, he smiled and kicked into the song with vigor that belied his 80 years, the last few of which it was clear had not treated him well.

I've never been in a room with someone where it was so obvious how everyone there just felt lucky to be seeing him, with knowing glances and smiles between strangers after every verse and song.

He was a true performer as well as being badass player. He could do a sick take on Fascinating Rhythm and put it back to back with a Noel Coward piece done with the comic timing of a classic film star.

Anyway, thanks Buddy, I'm sad I found out about you so late and I wish more people could have seen you in action.

Here's a pic (he still had that sweet mustache)

And a youtube

No comments: